There were 8 new gardeners and 14 returning gardeners.
2. Children were divided into 4 groups. The 2 younger ones the Sprouts and the Seedlings were given a few seeds as well as pots and plants to care for while the 2 older groups the Buds and the Bloomers were encouraged to plant the vegetable and flower seeds in their own gardens.
3. We had a very poor growing season following a record hot and dry July and August with very little rain. Thus the number of entries was down.
4. The leaders visited 9 gardens at 4 locations. (4 girls and 5 boys).
5. At the August Show 8 girls and 5 boys brought 85 entries. Five awards and several money prizes totalling $100.25 were presented.
|Taylor-Skuce Award||Best Garden – Class C||Rileigh Darling|
|Isabel Jones Trophy||Most points in show – Class C||Rileigh Darling|
|Edna Hopkins Award||Best garden – Class D||Trevor Kennedy|
|Wesley Wilson Award||Most points in Show – Class D||Maria McQuade|
|Rikki Brannigan Award||Special Award||Adam Otterwell|
|Best Beginning Gardener||Money prize||Joshua Otterwell|
|Class A – SPROUTS||Best in Show (Novelty)||Amber Gunn|
|Judge’s Choice (Sunflowers)||Emily Lajeunesse|
|Class B – SEEDLINGS||Best in Show (See What I Grew)||Cecelia Darling|
|Judge’s Choice (Novelty)||Jocelyn Kennedy|
|Class C – BUDS||Best in Show (Arrangement-Teapot)||Larissa Marshall|
|Judge’s Choice (Novelty)||Rileigh Darling|
|Class D -BLOOMERS||Best in Show (Beets)||Erik Darling|
|Judge’s Choice (Sunflower)||Maria McQuade|
6. There were 13 children in attendance at the October meeting for Fall Craft Activities Wrap up. This attendance is lower due to conflicts with the fall activities. We may try to have the final Event earlier in September.
7. Heather Grassie and Linda Jenkins would like to thank the following enthusiastic people who so generously shared their time and talent in their support of the Junior Garden club: Anne Luxton, Christa Marton, Kim Gunn, Mary Riseborough, and parents Nora Darling, Melanie Stainton, Jody Marshall, Bruce Gunn, Janice Kennedy, Sue Lajeunesse, Shannon Pogue, Kathy Smith and Linda Wannamaker.
8. This year 2012 marked the 66th year of the Junior Garden Club. This is the third year for the August Flower Show to be held on the regular Monday evening meeting of August and at the larger venue of the Curling Rink and things went very smoothly for the children, parents and leaders as they received their awards and money prizes.
Respectively submitted by