2. The children were divided into 4 groups. The 2 younger ones the Sprouts and the Seedlings were given a few seeds as well as pots and plants to care for while the 2 older groups the Buds and the Bloomers were encouraged to plant their vegetable and flower seeds in their own gardens. Everyone received money and some Buds and Bloomers received keeper trophies for their efforts.
3. We had a better growing season for this gardening year and the children were successful with their vegetables and blooming flowers.
4. The leaders visited 14 gardens at 7 locations. (8 girls and 6 boys). Some Junior Gardeners in the village of Omemee had difficulties with rabbits this year.
5. At the August Show, 7 girls and 3 boys brought 63 entries. Five awards and several money prizes totalling $91.50 were presented.
|Taylor-Skuce Award||Best Garden – Class C||Rileigh Darling|
|Isabel Jones Trophy||Most points in show – Class C||Rileigh Darling|
|Edna Hopkins Award||Best garden – Class D||Trevor Kennedy|
|Wesley Wilson Award||Most points in Show – Class D||Erik Darling|
|Rikki Brannigan Award||Special Award||Taylor Drake|
|Best Beginning Gardener||Money prize|
|Class A – SPROUTS||Best in Show|
|Class B – SEEDLINGS||Best in Show||Amber Gunn|
|Judge’s Choice||Kyle Darling|
|Class C – BUDS||Best in Show|
|Class D -BLOOMERS||Best in Show||Taylor Drake|
|Judge’s Choice||Trevor Kennedy|
6. There were 19 children in attendance at the October meeting for Fall Craft Activities Wrap up. This was a very good attendance and the time of the meeting was from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
7. Heather Grassie and Linda Jenkins would like to thank the enthusiastic Senior Hort. members and parents who so generously shared their time and talent in their support of the Junior Garden Club with helping at the craft days and taking photographs.
8. This year 2013 marked the 67th year of the Junior Garden Club and the fourth year for the August Flower Show to be held on the regular Monday evening meeting of August and at the larger venue of the Curling Rink and things went very smoothly for the children, parents and leaders as they received their awards and money prizes.
Respectively submitted by Youth Leaders